Mr. C got his Father’s day present from us last weekend, he bought a shirt and I paid for it. Boring! He was really happy about it though.
We were in bed with both kids sleeping when he suddenly blurted out how fast the kids are growing – LittleMiss will turn 2 yrs and LittleMan 7 yr old this year. Making a handprint of the kids to remind him (us) that they will always be our babies is a perfect gift.
It is something that everyone in the family can do, even kids as young as 2 years old.
Things you need to make Fossil Handprint:
- Salt Dough
- Picture Frame
- Double-Sided Tape
- Parchment paper
- Baking Tray
Salt Dough Recipe:
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Table Salt
- 1/2 cup Warm Water
– Put all ingredients in a bowl and mix either by hand or mixer. Mix ever thing till well incorporated and smooth.
How to make Fossil Handprint:
- Pre-heat oven to 130C – make sure you only turn own the bottom heat.
- Place a parchment paper on your table. Ask your older child to flatten out the dough with a rolling pin to your desired size. Mommy can smooth out the edges.
- Wash and dry hands.
- Carefully, press each of the child’s hand on the dough for about 10 seconds.
- Trace handprint with a black marke.
- Write a message and decorate with stamps.
- Bake in oven for 3 hours.
I made a mistake and turned on both bottom and top heat on the oven that caused the dough to puff up, I only realized my mistake after an hour. I solved the puff up mistake by placing a parchment paper and baking pan on top of the dough.
Frame Handprint Fossil:
- Let baked dough cool down.
- Cover back of picture frame with a masking tape.
- Place your desired colored paper as a background. The kids chose purple because it is my favorite color.
- Cut strips of double-sided tape and stick at the back of your fossil dough.
- Carefully, stick fossil dough on the center of your frame.
Done! A perfect gift for Mom, Dad, Grandparents, Aunts and Uncles too.
Linking to Let Kids be Kids