We’ve been hit by a nasty flu this past week, thankfully all of us are now feeling great. Arroz Caldo is a simple dish that is hearty and comforting.
This dish is made during the cooler months or when someone is sick. It is usually made with a mix of glutinous and regular rice, chicken, garlic and lots of ginger. I’ve made a healthier version by adding white quinoa to rice. It’s a great way to introduce quinoa to your family, the chicken broth and ginger slightly masked the nutty flavor of quinoa.
Chicken Arroz Caldo with Quinoa
- 8 pcs Chicken thighs (I like using either wings, thighs or legs for richer broth)
- 1/2 cup Jasmine Rice or Glutinous Rice
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 8 cups Chicken broth or water
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- Onion, chopped
- Ginger, thumb size cut in strips
- 2 hard boiled eggs
- Scallions, chopped
- Toasted garlic
- Sliced lemon
- Over medium heat, saute minced garlic in olive oil till slightly toasted, set aside.
- In the same pot saute onion and garlic.
- Add chicken thighs skin side down, sear both sides. Season with fish sauce (patis) about a tablespoon. Cover and let chicken cook till it extracts oil.
- Add uncooked rice, saute for 2 minutes then add water or broth.
- Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes on high, add quinoa.
- Cook for another 10 to 20 minutes till both rice and quinoa is cooked.
- The dish should remain “soupy”, add more water or broth if needed. Taste and add more salt or pepper to your liking.
- Serve warm with sliced boiled egg, toasted garlic, chopped scallions and lemon wedge on the side
Linked to What Kids Eat Wednesday
I was craving for a yummy egg recipe and luckily got yours.
Thanks, excellent combo 🙂
Let me know once try it.
Yeah! I will let ya know for sure.
This looks really good! I tried making brown rice arroz caldo once. Adding quinoa is definitely a great idea and would love to do it. Now I’m craving for a hot bowl of arroz caldo.
Have bot tried with brown rice yet. My friend make use of only quinoa. Go make yourself one, you deserve it!
Pingback: Back to school Bento ideas | Cuddles and Crumbs
This sounds lovely! I have never really used quinona before – shall have to give this a go x
Pingback: WKEW #23 ⋆ Study at Home Mama
Pingback: Comfort foods around the world
Pingback: Lunch Box Recipe: Chicken Quinoa Meatballs | Cuddles and Crumbs