Bread, butter and jam makes me happy.
At one event hosted by Tavola for Panasonic Bread Machine, I tasted a delicious homemade jam. The simple, fresh and pure taste of the jam made by Rebecca just lingered that I had to make one at home too.
Three ingredients is all you need to make this jam at home. I must insist though that you get the freshest (organic) ingredients possible, because it does make a difference.
The cooking time depends on the type fruit you choose. For the strawberries it took me around 6 minutes until the fruit came to a soft boil.
Take it off the heat, add chia seeds and add sweetener of choice. Let it sit for a couple of minutes. You’re done!
A key ingredient on turning your cooked fruit to a spreadable consistency. Chia seeds is a super food that contains more calcium than milk, known to boost energy, stabilize blood sugar, aid digestion, and lower cholesterol.
Make jam more interesting by adding fresh herbs, zest and vitality oils. For the second batch of jam, I played with adding flavors with the use of vitality essential oils from Young Living – basil and orange.
Strawberry Chia Jam
- 500 grams Strawberries, diced
- 1 tbsp Honey, or any sweetener of choice
- 1/2 tbsp. Chia Seeds
- Add strawberries to a saucepan and cook over medium heat.
- Cook until strawberries come to a soft boil or when the fruit breaks down and become liquidly, around 5-8 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat. Use an emersion blender to mash strawberries to your liking, I prefer mine lumpy.
- Add honey and chia seeds, stir. Let sit for a few minutes to allow chia seeds to bloom.
- Taste jam and add about 1/2 tbsp. more if you like it sweeter. The jam will continue to thicken. You may need to add more chia seeds if you use high liquid fruits.
- Transfer to glass jar, once jam has reached room temperature.
Chia jam can last up to 2 weeks when stored in an air tight container inside the fridge.
Homemade healthy jam.. WOW. well done mommy. Thank you for sharing the recipe!!
You’re welcome! Do let me know once you have given it a try.
Looks so healthy and yummy 😉 I’ll try to do this at home. My strawberry monster would surely love this!