LittleMan V likes apples and have it for snack everyday. I like apples too but prefer it on desserts – pie, crumble, turnovers, even a simple puff pie makes me happy.
Made few changes on the filling, added chia seeds (I add this to almost everything we eat) and made a maple glaze.
Easy, yummy and looks like pie.
Honey-Maple Apple Pie Cake
Original recipe – Martha Stewart’s Apple Pie Cake
- 2 cups All purpose flour
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 400 g Unsalted butter, cold (cut in cubes)
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 10 Apples (original recipe asked for 5 pounds), peeled and cut into thin slices.
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp Honey
- 1 tsp Maple Syrup
- 1 tablespoon Chia Seeds
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- Toss apple slices with lemon juice, set aside.
- Cake Crust: Sift flour and sugar. Turn stand-mixer to low and drop cubes of butter till incorporated. Alternately, you can use a pastry cutter. Press about 2/3 cup of the mixture to your spring-form pan, bottom and sides – similar to preparing a pie crust.
- Fill your “cake crust” with apple slices, lightly press and continue filling.
- Mix honey and maple syrup, pour over your filling. Sprinkle chia seeds.
- Drop blobs of remaining crust mixture on top.
- Place pan on an aluminum covered baking sheet. Bake for 1 hr 30 minutes or till top crust turns golden brown.
- Glaze: Mix 2 tbsp maple syrup, 1 tsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp powdered sugar. Drizzle on pie.